What Do You Think About The YAESU FT2DR

Finally received the radio last week. Still looking for a fusion repeater connection. Meanwhile, it has been FM all the way for me.
Prior to receiving the FT2DR, I purchased the WIRES-X interface so that I can easily get 5 watt LOS stations and repeater stations onto the Fusion net.
Well, the WIRES-X comes with two cables, a 10pin din to 10pin din, and a 10pin din to 6pin din. Neither works with the
FT2DR - yes, I'm trying to connect an HT to WIRES-X. I'm waiting on a few cables that I hope can be used to go from the
WIRES-X to the FT2DR. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Meanwhile, I like the touch screen idea, but I hate the contrast. It is like the screen is faded, and there is nothing you can do to adjust the screen for improvements.
I also have the VX8DR - I really like the VX8DR, but again, the orange screen is hard to see. I wish Yaesu does something to make the screens better - sheesh!
Most of us can't see like a teenager :)

I like the FT2DR APRS management better than the VX8DR. When you get finished playing with the FT2DR, you will forget how to use the VX8DR :)
The one problem I can't identify is why I can't get my APRS movement to show on aprs.fi. Also, I can see several APRS beacons coming into the radio, but
I can't get a round robin to come back into the radio from my own call sign.

The FT2DR does not transmit on FRS and GMRS like the VX8DR. I can never remember my GMRS call sign :)

Right now, I'm still trying to learn how to connect the phone to a fusion repeater. I'll connect it to WIRES-X if I can get the HT connection figured out.
You can basically figure most of the phone out in a day if you just read the book straight through.

The FT2DR radio looks clean looking, while the VX8DR looks super complicated like it can probably connect to anything.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/28/2015

    Is the VX8DR or the FT2DR legal, as in FCC type accepted for FRS or GMRS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9/28/2015

    No, there is no HAM transmitter that's legal for FRS or GMRS.

    Both FRS and GMRS are only legal with equipment certified to part 95 standards. The part 95 standards require that the equipment be incapable of transmitting on frequencies other than the service the radio is intended for. So if it's got the ability to transmit on the ham bands, then it can't be legal for FRS or GMRS use. Furthermore, FRS requires a non-detachable antenna.

    There are also modulation, deviation, power, and frequency stability standards which may or may not be achieved by a particular piece of ham gear. Some ham gear can be modified to make it technically capable of transmitting out of ham bands, perhaps including FRS/GMRS frequencies. That doesn't mean it's legal. Even if you make your ham gear have a signal that is technically compatible with FRS or GMRS, it won't be legally compatible unless it has been certified. Your ham license gives you no privileges outside of the ham bands, and transmitting where you're not allowed can cost you your license, among other things.

    Of course, there are plenty of ham radios that can receive FRS/GMRS frequencies, along with a lot more frequencies, and this is not a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a ham radio operator and GMRS licensed as well. I made a simple modification to my portable radio and now I can use my radio on both services. I am licensed for both services. Just make sure you have the aprópiate license and you be all right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be wonderful if you had more descriptive and more details.

      Your comments do not explain if you are discussing the modification "SHARED" and detailed within this blog to expand the frequency.

      You also offer not callsign for contact information for like QRZ.com ??

      Thanks for your comments, but what are you talking about? without information it seem you are bragging?

      Delete