Yaesu [FT2DR] APRS beaconing

[FT2DR] APRS beaconing

Just joined this group yesterday and I need some assistance with making the FT2DR beacon properly on APRS.  I plan on using this radio to track my progress as I hike in the mountains and send the info to the APRS system if possible. 
I've been trying to set the parameters to make this radio send a beacon but so far it doesn't seem to be doing so.  I am receiving APRS messages and such and they display on the screen but I cannot get it to smart beacon or manually beacon for some reason. 
I have set my GPS parameters for a fixed station and I've
used it mobile to test the GPS system so I know that is working.
Anyone have a suggestion on what setting(s) I may have not set correctly yet.  I know I can get into nearby APRS systems with another radio but so far not this one even using an outside beam antenna mounted on my tower at 60 feet.
Any suggestions?

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/20/2016

    Check these items first:
    DISPLAY-APRS
    #4 APRS modem on 1200bps
    #16 BEACON TX auto
    #20 GPS POWER ON

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are using smart beaconing make sure it is set to smart instead of auto for menu 16

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7/10/2016

    Just bought the Yaesu FT2DR two weeks ago. Everything works fine except for the APRS. I receive beacons but the radio does not appear to transmit them. The GPS works; I have triple checked all of the Menu items such as the baud rate (1200 bps); Beacon on Auto (Smart too, still no results); set my call sign with the -7 suffix; tried mobile using the vehicle dual-band antenna; frequency 144.390MHz; The squelch appears to be closing OK. I have friends in the area who own this radio and their FT2DR's all work on APRS. Maybe mine is defective, but I hate to send it in for repair if I've just missed an obvious Menu selection. Does anyone have any ideas what I should try next? Denis VE3KVE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make sure you are using the B VFO and your mode is set to FM, not Auto. This drove me crazy for a while trying to figure it out. Good luck.

    73,
    K2CPR

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am having the same issue. I am getting info on the screen fine but I do not show up on the map. MODE is set to FM. Call sign with -7, 1200 bps, beacon on auto, 144.390 and squelch set to -4, GPS POWER ON, Beacon TX Auto. DIGI PATH WIDE1 -1 WIDE 2 -1....I have to say, I am new to APRS but I am VERY confused.

    Todd
    KM4MVG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same issue as Todd. Am also new to APRS and am not able to "show up on the map" either.

      Delete
  5. did you ever get this working?? I am having the same issue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the same problems with APRS, not transmitting Beacon TX, you can do a manual for the correct setting?

    Thanks, I3YBD Maurzio

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been playing around with a FT2D and I was unable to get it to beacon. I have another older Yaesu radio and it sends beacons successfully to the Digi I have located at my house but the FT2D won't. I found that if I change the frequency up to 144.395 then the becons go through 95% of the time. Has anyone else seen this issue? I've tried changing antennas from the Diamond SRH77CA and a MFJ1717S antenna. Thanks

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yaesu FT1D and FT2D doesn't transmit APRS beacons when PTT key lock is engaged. You can choose any combination of KEY/DIAL/PTT in the CONFIG Menu -> LOCK Function.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/3ualwy/psa_yaesu_ft1d_doesnt_transmit_aprs_beacons_when/

    http://imgur.com/rrJ6MRQ

    73 Otto

    ReplyDelete